Monday 21 February 2011

A wealth of information on Lithuanian Jewish Dunn origins...

The website of Jose Gutstein, in Cuba gives a great abundance of useful information about the origins of Jewish Dunn's from Lithuania.
The following is from his page on the surname Don, which is a variation of Dunn...

"DON was the second most common surname in Zasliai (trailing only KATS). There are literally hundreds of records, from various sources, bearing the surname in this town. Below is a sample of them, including those found in the 1854 Revision List, as well as the 1878 Trakai District Alphabetical List of Male Names. Many DON's from Zasliai and nearby towns immigrated to America and went through Ellis Island, and that list is included below. Also, included is the list of Pages of Testimony filed at Yad Vashem for persons memorializing a DON from Zasliai and environs.


NOTE: If you are a DON from Zasliai, or anywhere nearby, including Kaisiadorys (Koshedar), Ziezmariai (Zezmer), Rumsiskes (Rumshishok), Trakai (Troki), or even Kovno or Vilna, please contact me so I can try to figure out how we'd be related. The vast majority of DON families in the region between Kovno and Vilna have connections to Zasliai, and, given the extraordinary amount of DON's in Zasliai compared to other towns, they likely originated in Zasliai."

8 comments:

  1. My name is John Dunn and my family come from the East End of London. My Father's name was Alfred, his Father's name was Edward, and his Father's name was Moses. They lived in the East End of London from before 1900 until 1965 when my Father left London to live in Thatcham, Berkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for your post. I've only just seen your comment, so sorry for the late reply. I know of a Moses Dunn who is buried in Edmonton Cemetery. He was also known as Morris. His middle name was Isaac. I have photograph of his grave somewhere.

      See

      http://thedunnsaga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

      Also see

      http://www.myheritage.com/person-1000209_189445852_189445852/moses-isaac-dunn

      Facebook
      https://m.facebook.com/pages/Descendants-of-Emanuel-Don/115045728524955?id=115045728524955&_rdr

      Delete
  2. Ben - I just happened upon your blog. My name is Erin Dunn-Franklin and Charles J Dunn was my great-grandfather. He married Rose Batchker and had my grandfather, Arnold Dunn. I am so excited to find this blog as I would love to learn more about Charlie's siblings. I also have more information about and pictures of Charlie that my dad and uncle have collected. So, I guess that we are distant cousins! I'd also love to get a copy of that photo of Charlie from WWI, if you have it. My dad was very close to his grandfather (my brother is also named Charlie, after him), and I think it would mean a lot to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, I'm going to email you that photo over to you or send it via facebook.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben, I am a descendant of Louis (Arye Leib) Dunn born 1878 in Kovna. His father was Sholom Vulff Dunn. That is about all I know, I am very interested in researching my family history and current relatives so any information would be very greatly appreciated! Baruch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Baruch, only just checked this blog. Most of my research goals have been fulfilled. Mystery solved!The blog did it's job!

      have you got any further? Did you find the research postings of Jose Gutstein at all?

      Delete
  5. My ancestors came from Vilna (Vilnius) not sure which area. They were Don's however, I've seen the name spelt as Dann, Daune and Donne. They came to the UK around 1890 and some settled in Yorkshire. The surname became anglicised to Donn. I am a descendant of Philip Don, whose father's name was Hanoch.

    ReplyDelete